In the business world, inventory means money. In the law world, words mean money. However, all the legal matters attorneys must deal with have a downside: They risk getting burned out. And not only them, but paralegal burnout is also of grave concern. We are living in times of exacerbated stress levels–short- and long-term.
In this article, we will examine how to recognize this physical and emotional ailment and how you as a Value-Added Reseller (VAR) can play a part in helping attorneys, paralegals, and other staff members avoid, even overcome, it. After all, time wasted is money wasted.
Why Do Lawyers Get Burned Out?
Burnout is not an actual disease or a medical condition, but rather the combined effects of several health indicators (or stressors) reaching a point where your client’s everyday life is wholly and adversely affected.
Here are some stressors to explain why lawyers are so overworked:
- Heavy caseloads
- Increased client demands
- Criticism over the quality of work
- Long hours
- Not enough time decompressing with family and friends
- Lack of sleep
- A shrinking pool of colleagues and support staff
- Demanding bosses
For the law firm, the problem is compounded whereas they no longer are competing only with other law firms that may offer a better work-life balance and thus, lure the attorney away. They are now competing with software companies, schools, consulting firms, conglomerates, and other professional business entities that need a legal expert—and are more than willing to pay better and offer better benefits that actively avoid chronic stress and job burnout.
How Do Lawyers Overcome Burnout?
If your client is feeling stressed out, here are 8 actions they can take to alleviate the effects of stress and address the situation:
- Seek Support: It can be something as easy as talking to their superiors to ease their case workload. Talk to coworkers, friends, or family members. Seek professional stress management help if needed.
- Take Time Off: Take a vacation or simply stay home doing nothing except relaxing. Finish a long-forgotten list of home projects. Take naps. Watch TV. Go to the park and sit under a tree.
- Get Some Exercise: Regular physical activity does wonders for dealing with stress. Walk, jog, ride a bicycle, go on a nature trail, or join a gym. In short, get moving.
- Get Some Sleep: Sleep is the body’s way of restoring itself. It helps to protect one’s health.
- Try a Hobby or Relaxing Activity: Many programs are geared toward reducing stress, such as yoga, tai chi, or meditation. Or take up gardening, do a jigsaw puzzle, or do any of the myriad activities that can help people relax.
- Practice Mindfulness: This is the act of focusing on the flow of one’s breath and focusing on what they are feeling. Many apps teach this.
- Evaluate Options: Perhaps finding another job or another career is an option. Or speak with a senior partner about taking a step back, reducing the caseload, or even taking a short leave of absence so your client can regroup and start fresh when they return. Keep an open mind and don’t let current frustrations dictate actions and feelings.
- Dragon Legal Anywhere: Reduce your client’s writing time by using the power of their voice to make their life easier. Click here to learn more.
How to Prevent Lawyer Burnout
How can VARs prevent lawyer burnout? Easy! Dragon Legal Anywhere is a win-win for the attorneys, paralegals, and the law firm itself. It saves your clients time and money and lessens workloads. By incorporating speech-to-text technology and relying less on transcriptions, the entire law firm’s workflows are lightened. The time saved goes a long way to decreasing the chances of burnout. Your clients will appreciate this.
But more importantly, by using Dragon Legal Anywhere, your clients can increase their billable hours. By increasing efficiency—less time transcribing—your clients can boost their productivity—billable hours—and dedicate more time to their cases or tasks.
Additionally, your client will not have to waste time waiting for transcriptions, which has a two-fold benefit: Less stress and more billable hours.
By incorporating speech-to-text technology and relying less on transcriptions, the entire law firm’s workflows are lightened…
6 Benefits of Using Dragon Legal Anywhere
Freedom of Mobility & Budget Friendly
Enjoy Accurate Recognition of Legal Terms
No Limit on Productivity
Automate Repetitive Workflows & Improve Efficiency
Easy to Install, Maintain & Scale
Secure & Compliant
Top Features of Dragon Legal Anywhere
Specialized legal vocabulary
Fast, accurate, and highly customizable
256-bit Encrypted Data
Always the latest speech recognition engine
Leverage Nuance Deep Learning technology
Support for virtualized environments
Central user administration
Dragon Anywhere Mobile for iOS and Android Devices
Become an eDist Value-Added Reseller
Increase your ROI with recurring revenue and reach out to a wider customer base with the power of cloud-based technology.
Voice will power your future profits. eDist has proven sales and marketing strategies and can provide value-added bonuses like white-label technical support, a marketing portal, high-level product knowledge and updates, training, and certifications. We don’t just want to see your business succeed. We want to be your partner in success.
If you’d like to become a reseller and make recurring revenue by selling professional speech-to-text products to help your clients work more efficiently and productively, let us know. We carry Philips and Olympus dictation products. We’re also the exclusive distributor for Nuance® speech recognition software in the United States and Canada.